Friday, June 19, 2009

when did that happen?


The other day I was looking thru the cupboards trying to figure out what to make for lunch when it hits me... I wanted a Tuna Melt. Huh? I've never in my life even had a tuna melt, much less craved one! (by the way, this is a pic of my lunch creation today).
How could I want something I've never even tasted? Well, I love tuna sandwiches, tomatoes and cheese, so what's the problem? And all of the sudden my grandma's words (that I've so often rolled my eyes at) flowed through my mind... "You'll like it when you get older." Gram, I'm 37. If it hasn't happened by now, it ain't gonna.


This is what she's always told me about onions. From as far back as I can remember I've hated onions and from as far back as I can remember, she's been trying to sneak them into my food just to prove I "won't even taste them." So why put them in then, I ask?! If you can't even taste them, what's the point?! For flavor... she says! Um, what's wrong with that logic?


In all fairness, I have tried to eat onions. And it's not so much the taste of them I hate, as opposed to the texture and crunch. I've tried McDonald's little freeze dried flakes, the onions in potato salad, in meatloaf- nope. Can't do it.


But there are a lot of other things I've suddenly acquired a taste for that I would never have imagined! For instance, sauerkraut. Being Polish, this has always been a staple food in my grandma's house. Who in their right mind could ever eat shredded cabbage that's been left to ferment for weeks on end? Now... I love it! All the vegetables I never thought I'd eat: brussel sprouts, asparagus, squash, eggplant - love them!


So who knows...

2 comments:

Fer said...

the tuna melt looks fabboo. i enjoy a tuna melt myself. and saurkraut, i'm Polish & German so of course i eat it...and LOVE it. as for onions, only cooked, not raw...

Anonymous said...

One thing I think we have all learned over the years Grandma is always right