Sunday, June 28, 2009

Girl Drama: 21st century-style

We have a bunch of girls in our neighborhood, all aged 10-14, so girl drama happens... A LOT! I can't even keep track of who's friends with whom from one day to the next. And as parents, we've all kind of agreed to keep out of it, because one day the girls are BFFs, the next day they're not speaking, then the day after they're BFFs again.

Last night Marc was DJing a wedding and the kids and I were home watching movies when Alex checked her email about 10:30, only to find that one of her BFFs had logged into her email and sent a message to another girl in the neighborhood telling her she hated her and never wanted to be friends with her. Alex had just been playing with the other girl all afternoon too, so she was probably blindsided by the mean message.

My question... how do I handle this? Do I ignore it like all the other arguments they get into? This was the only girl alex had told her password to, so we're 99.9% sure we know it's her. I went back into the "sent" folder and didn't see any other emails that she had done this with. We really like her parents, and I'm sure the girls will work this all out, but I somehow feel this has gone above and beyond girl spats. I told alex to call her to confront her to make it sound like we know for sure it was her, to get her to confess to it, then tell her she needs to approach the girl she sent it to and fess up to it. Alex has learned her lesson about giving out her password. Or do I drop it altogether?

2 comments:

Fer said...

i may be a bad example, but i'm a meddling fool when it comes to stuff like this. if you're friends with the parents, approach them but only if alex's attempts with the girl are unsuccessful. i agree that this is over the line...

Diva Me said...

hmmmmmmm....Alex changed her password, right?

How weird. Were we all that devious when we were young? And why would the girl do that anyhow? Does the insulted girl know that the message was NOT from Alex?

I'm not sure I have any assvice for this one...