Monday, August 17, 2009

summer's almost over...

I can't believe how fast it's gone by. When I took my job at school, I was in complete amazement that I would get 3 full months off work - while still collecting a paycheck! Oh the perks of that! No more outrageous summertime daycare payments, and TIME - time to organize, time to clean, time to visit family & friends, time for EVERYTHING.

Well, we go back to school in 3 weeks and I can't even grasp that the time has gone already. What did I get done? I'm tempted to say "nothing". But then I think back and I guess I did get quite a bit accomplished, but of course nothing that I had planned to!

I didn't really even get to start my summer until 4th of July weekend because for the first 4 weeks after school got out I was so busy baking cakes every single day and night. I am thankful for that business, but I'll never overbook like that again.

I did some babysitting for a friend 2 days a week. We usually spent those 2 days finding something fun to do outside, which meant I spent some time at the local swimming hole.

I took on an extra job painting that took about a week. Not bad. Got a little extra money for that. But all in all, my expectations were high for my first summer off. I didn't organize my closets or my basement, I didn't get my house clean, I didn't get my books read. I did get to sleep in until about 8:30 on a regular basis though.

One of my principals told me this just before school got out: She said one summer she made a list of everything she wanted to accomplish then she spent the whole summer making sure she got everything crossed off that list. She said it was the most miserable summer she'd had. So I guess I have to learn not to have any expectations, to enjoy it day by day. And there's only about 22 more of those left.

2 comments:

K said...

Don't kick yourself... it's the first summer you had off! I am impressed you got done what you did.

Diva Me said...

I would kill for a summer off...and I am sure I would accomplish NOTHING.

Are you still too busy baking? I have a little monster that would love a Scooby Doo birthday cake at the end of September...but I understand if we are too far away. Your business is booming now! Rockstar!